Another rough week. I haven't been eating much at all the past few days and I've lost more weight. Mom took me to the vet yesterday and the news isn't good. I'll let mom tell you more below. But for now, here's another Femme Friday picture from me!
Update from Mom Paula: I've tried to keep everything positive on Praline's blog since her original diagnosis, but I also want to keep everyone up-to-date on her condition. Unfortunately, it's hard to be positive and upbeat when the news isn't good.
Praline hasn't done well at all the past few days. She stopped eating again and would barely touch the stinky goodness from my fingers. I really knew there were problems when she stopped begging for treats and would actually spit them out and leave them. I made the decision to call the vet this morning to get some advice and Dr. Ellis recommended I bring her in. Praline has lost more weight (you can feel her bones when you rub her back) and the vet actually looked at me and asked me if I wanted to put her down today. I immediately began crying and told her that is what I needed to know - was it was the end of the line for Praline and was I just trying to hold on to her.
Praline was leaning up against me and she looked back at the vet with those beautiful eyes and the vet said, "I don't think she's ready to go yet." The vet said the fact that Praline was still walking around on the floor trying to get away from the vet, that she was leaning against me instead of just lying on the table and that she still had the spirit in her eyes told the vet that she wasn't ready. However, the vet was very concerned that Praline hasn't been eating. I asked the vet if I needed to make the decision to send her to the bridge or could I just let it happen naturally at home. The vet told me that I needed to make the decision because it would be a hard death on Praline if I let it happen naturally. She decided to give Praline fluids and a pill that should help with the nausea and stimulate her appetite over the weekend. If it works, she can have the pill once every three days.
The vet then told me that if this didn't work, that it would be time to put Praline down next week. She said that even though Praline was still fighting, if she didn't start eating, we couldn't let her starve. The vet also indicated that Praline probably was "hurting" because of the rawness of her digestive system. Praline did walk up to me a couple of times last night, meowing, asking for some treats and she actually ate some. She hasn't eaten her food yet, but we'll see. Thank you so much for all of your support during this time. I'll keep everyone updated.